Kazakhstan as in the rest of the world, is in the fight against counterfeiting in order to protect the health of its citizens. The problem of tracking counterfeit drugs in former Soviet republics has become tedious with the former unorganized approach. Kazakhstan faces issues of having a high amount of counterfeit drugs. demand for generics, drug shortages and increased online buying have further fueled the sale of counterfeit drugs. To overcome this, the government of Kazakhstan is planning to establish mandatory labeling and tracking of drugs by 2023 with a phased approach. Kazakhstan’s milestone is to implement 100% of Serialization by 2023.
Key Upcoming Dates
- August 2022 – The ministry has identified around 90 products and would begin the mandatory marking for them. This is 1% of all drugs
- January, 2023: A subsequent phase comprising 20% of medicines has been proposed which might also include traceability.
Chronology Of The Regulation Development
- September 2015 – The Health Ministry of Kazakhstan issues guidelines on product labeling and accessing a centralized portal for uploading data.
- November 2015 – The Ministry of Kazakhstan instructs GS1 Kazakhstan to implement a pilot project for the national drug traceability system.
- 2019 – GS1 Kazakhstan starts the pilot project and executes tests.
- 2020/2021 – The labeling program is started which also voluntarily included imported and newly produced products.The pilot is finalized and guidelines are issued
- August 8, 2021 – The Health Ministry shortlists 93 products for implementing the first phase of serialization starting in May 2022.
- June 5, 2022 - The Health Ministry amended its traceability rules issued in 2021 with the new rules going into effect on August 1, 2022.
Kazakhstan Serialization And Traceability Guidelines
The first step in Kazakhstan Serialization is to provide information about the products for labeling and traceability of goods.
An encrypted Data Matrix code for each product is then generated by the system which contains information about the manufacturer or importer, the batch number and other information necessary pertaining to the movement of the product.
Guidelines For Serialized Labeling
The mandatory digital labeling system enforced by the Kazakhstan ministry ensures the transparent supply chain of medicines, which in turn ensures quality control throughout the life cycle of these medicines. In addition, manufacturers and importers can monitor the pharma supply chain for the movement of these drugs and because of this transparency they can anticipate and prevent drug shortages as well as the circulation of counterfeit drugs.
The final stage for a complete pharmaceutical track-and-trace program is following up the serialization with end-to-end aggregation as well. This hierarchical serialization practice involves updating each level of packaging detail such as carton, pallet and container with a unique serial number, facilitating granular-level tracking and tracing. This approach will strengthen the anti counterfeiting measures.
How can CosmoTrace help?
We provide serialization consulting, implementation & integration services to help our clients with managing the end-to-end serialization projects and preparing them for the existing and upcoming regulations across the globe.
We are well versed with the compliance regulations for various markets and can help you with implementing the Kazakhstan pharmaceutical serialization requirements.
Our team of experts strategize and plan end-to-end solutions using a combination of years of knowledge in product serialization, pharmaceutical supply chains, life sciences and brand integrity.
This information is being provided ‘As Is’ with no claims of suitability for a particular purpose. It represents just one possible interpretation of information available in the public domain or through membership organizations, partners and that interpretation is subject to change. This information does not constitute legal advice. Users must refer to the source material for the complete requirements and form their own interpretation before making business decisions.
Please use the references below to follow the updates at the source.